Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stay Young

     The town I'm working in currently has a couple retirement communities, and it seems like I've been helping a lot of their members recently.  I mentioned the Sullivan sisters that came in the other day.  Yesterday, it was a married couple in their seventies who brought in the wife's 102 year old mother.  Today, it was an older couple in their eighties.  They were absolutely wonderful to work with.  The wife handled herself much more easily then her husband who used a cane and her right arm to steady himself coming in and leaving.  Hunched over and tired from the effort, he was still a perfect gentleman.  When everything was completed, we said our goodbyes and I thanked them.  I watched her steady him as he rose from his chair, and she and I made eye contact.  Then she took my hand in hers and said, "Don't get old, Heather.  Stay young and beautiful for as long as you can."  Blushing, I thanked her for her kind words.
     It's the second time in a week that I've been told to not get old.  Watching them this afternoon gave me much food for thought.
    
      

No comments:

Post a Comment