Thursday, October 24, 2013

Glimpse

     Has this ever happened to you?  You're out in the busy world, and you swear you just caught a glimpse of someone you know? But someone from a lifetime ago, or someone that there's no way in hell could be here because they live in like Fiji, and you wouldn't bump into them on a crowded subway platform during morning rush hour.
     This morning, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw my mom.  I turned to get a better look. Same almost bob haircut, steel gray with still quite a bit of brown (the genetics that allow me to not have dyed my hair yet), slight frame, tiny.  I stood still on the platform and almost called out "Mommy?"
     And then I started softly repeating to myself ... She's dead Heather, she's dead  ... It's not your mother ... She's dead.  After this registered, I went on my way.
     I've seen her once or twice before in my old store.  Her haircut and body type must be common for women of a certain age.  The last time, she was so painfully similar, I almost touched the poor, old woman to see if she was real.  Thankfully, I removed myself from the sales floor for a while in order to restrain myself and not give her an aneurysm.  But I was shot for the rest of the day.  Useless to the living.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment